Winter has definitely graced us and so have snotty noses. This blog is actually a request from a friend whose daughter is sick again and is wondering what to do. So, here are my top tips....
1. Wash your hands (with plain soap and water) and stay home when you're sick. You'll be doing yourself and your community a huge favour.
2. Sugar is an immune depressant - this means that sugar lowers your immune system function so cut out processed sugar, limit natural sugars such as honey and maple syrup and cut down on any processed carbohydrates such as breads, pastas, crackers etc that are broken down quickly by the body into sugar.
3. Increase veggies and whole, unprocessed foods - variety is key for the microbiota in our gut, the seat of our immune system.
4. Get good sleep, periods of rest during the day and exercise daily - you will find if you listen to your body, it will naturally want more rest in the cooler months. We are seasonal, cyclical creatures. Listen to your body's wisdom.
5. Eat warming foods - cooked foods with warming herbs and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, chilli, ginger and garlic (lots of garlic!). Soups and stews are great!
6. Think about supplementation if you find you are really below par, it's taking a long time to recover or you keep getting sick. Give me a call if you'd like to talk about this more.